Jump To Navigation
Don't see what you're looking for? Search our site:
Overcome the obstacles  With the help of a dedicated and diligent lawyer

Can I get an adjustment in child support in Colorado?

You and your ex made it through an acrimonious divorce. You cleanly divided all of your shared property, you agreed on a child custody arrangement and you set up alimony and child support payments. You’re ready to be done with the courts altogether and move on with your life as a single parent.

Unfortunately, while many of the terms of your divorce are set in stone, there’s a chance that you may require an adjustment to your child support agreement if your—or your ex’s—personal financial circumstances change down the road. This article examines the criteria for such an adjustment.

Colorado law attempts to create a child support system that serves both parents—ensuring that each parent contributes their fair share to their children’s expenses, within their means. However, if you or your ex has a major change in income or child-related expenses, this could warrant a change in the child support amount. In Colorado, any change in child support must represent at least a 10 percent increase or decrease from the original amount.

If you suddenly lose your job, you might have a drastic reduction in your income—and the court will accommodate your change in circumstances and revise your child support payment obligation. Conversely, if you get a substantial raise at your job, the court will likely expect you to proportionally increase your child support payments.

To request an adjustment in child support, contact your Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Unit. Provide details about the change in circumstance as well as any supporting documentation. It’s also worthwhile to consult with a family law attorney regarding your adjustment request, to ensure you’re making the strongest possible case for yourself.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy